Meetings, mood boards and strategy - it's all in a day's work here at head office. No time to sit back on our heels, this is the hub that powers everything we do. From fashion-forward designers to in-the-know buyers, our team at Topshop Topman HQ is unrivalled for talent. It's fast-paced, exciting and the perfect place to build a career in fashion. Join any part of the business, from Marketing to Finance, and you will shape the future of the most directional brands on the high-street.
A role at TOPSHOP promises a fast paced, challenging and innovative working environment. The key to our success is our people, and becoming part of this inspiring team will be a really fantastic opportunity for the right person!
As a Buyer at TOPSHOP you will be working to ensure we are first in identifying emerging trends, and translating these into fashion stories our customers will love and believe in. You will work closely with the Design teams and our Suppliers to ensure we capture the season’s must-have pieces to excite and delight the customer
• You will have a strong focus on anticipating and meeting the needs of the TOPSHOP customer, creating a balanced, innovative range, looking at price point, quality and standards.
• Responsible for implementing the climate specific product strategies and financial plans for a specific product category.
• Be able to develop and maintain strong working relationships with external third parties/suppliers.
• Develop a sourcing and supplier strategy including negotiating price, delivery and terms to support the business objectives.
• Attend trade shows, buying trips and competitor shopping trips.
• Working closely with Design to capture and develop the latest trends, and with Technologists to ensure that fabric and fit satisfies our high quality standards.
• Creative eye is imperative as is the ability to strongly interpret trends into designs/products for the TOPSHOP customer at a global level including trend insights from territories as input for products and ranges
• Utilise the global line detail to develop, build and source a global product range by climate for all markets that delivers commercial targets and aligns with the customer base
• Be able to analyse the business and react in a timely manner, identifying opportunities for improvement, beyond general trading, to contribute to the department strategy
• Working closely with the territory teams to understand market needs and products, acting on feedback based on recommendations and communicating relevant actions
• You will take the lead for your department in product review meetings and you will attend trade meetings to identify product opportunities
• You will advise on global trade actions based on global trade reports in season including repeats, cancellations, rescheduling etc
• Maintain excellent supplier relationships, liaising with them to drive product development and share trading information
• You will provide coaching and guidance to the team, training needs identification and development
• You will be responsible for managing the day to day workload of the team within your department area
• Develop global product strategy at a Department level and climate specific product strategies
• Focuses on Global buying working closely with Territory Teams to build a range for the Territory by taking their insights into account and translating into trends.
• Review opportunities and risks for Departments by climate
• When required, present garments to senior management and follow up on action points for the team/department.
• Looks further ahead than immediate problems to focus on ideas and solutions that may be of longer-term benefit to profitability.
• Delegates responsibility to BAA and Assistant Buyer to develop their skills. Provides a wider more strategic understanding of the business, the customer and the department.
Skills / experience required
• Currently at Buyer level for a fast paced fashion retailer.
• Interested and curious about global markets
• Structured and strategic thinker within department area
• Have proven success at buying your own area in Lingerie
• Have an established track record of driving business forward.
• Able to develop and maintain strong supplier relationships
• Ability to spot opportunities and risks
• Be able to demonstrate pro-activity in sourcing new ideas and inspiration.
• Possess excellent commercial awareness and ability to drive profit.
• Good analytical skills, excellent communication, influencing and negotiation skills.
• Display excellent inter-personal and presentation skills.
• Proven experience of managing and developing a team.
From bonus schemes to season ticket loans, that make your commute a little easier, we offer a range benefits here at head office. We make the most out of our staff discount across The Arcadia Group and a range of brands externally.
As well as this we have lots of exciting things that happen throughout the year, to say a big thanks for all the hard work our great teams put in.